Looking to Move? Here Are the Best Home Improvements for Resale
If you are considering selling your home in the near future, now is a great time to start thinking about the best home improvements for resale. To ensure you get the most money for your home, it is crucial that it be in tip-top shape to attract buyers and command the asking price. Do not underestimate the value some minor home improvements can add to your bottom line when you sell your home.
That being said, it is smart to start taking an inventory now of the things you can do to increase the value of your home and have it looking its finest when the listing hits the market. Here are some tips about the best home improvements for resale so you get the most money possible on the sale of your home.
Best Home Improvements for Resale Profits
- Don’t Forget the Yard – Do not underestimate the role a colorful row of flowers or a well-manicured lawn plays when people are house hunting. Replace overgrown shrubs with pretty, flowering plants, and other eye-catching focal points like a stone walkway or paved path to add instant appeal and value to the home.
- Clever Kitchen Updates – People love a clean and updated kitchen when they are house shopping. Even minor kitchen updates can go a long way in increasing the appeal and the price of your home for sale. Consider updating any appliances you are able to, sanding and painting existing cabinets for a fresh new look, and updating curtains and window trim to add a designer touch.
- Spruce Up the Bathroom – When a complete remodel is not an option, spruce up outdated bathrooms for a more modern feel to attract more buyers. Consider re-calking the tub, re-grouting any old looking tile, and replacing the toilet for a more modern look. Also, updating the bathroom mirror as well as the fixtures will enhance the home for buyers.
- Be Energy Efficient – Being energy efficient means being budget efficient in the eyes of a home buyer. While you may not actually be able to see these upgrades in your home for sale, an energy efficient home is a true favorite choice of home buyers today due to the potential long-term monetary savings it offers. Upgrading the HVAC system, insulation, water heaters, and windows are very popular upgrades with those looking to buy a home.
- Freshen Up the Walls – One of the most effective yet least expensive updates you can make is to give the walls of the home a fresh coat of paint. New paint not only lightens and brightens each room, but it also disguises any imperfections or defects to make the home look clean and fresh. Just be sure to choose a color that will be appealing to a wide variety of people such as a neutral yet urban gray tone.
- Look at Your Floors – If you want to make a big impact with your home improvement dollars, look at changing the floors of your home. New floors will give a clean and well-maintained look and gives a good first impression to buyers. Consider one of the new flooring options on the market today for an urban look that is sure to sell. Also, be sure to concentrate your efforts on the main living areas like the kitchen and living room if you are working within a budget.
Visit Your Local Credit Union for All of Your Home Financing Needs
Whether you are looking to buy a new home or make some of the best home improvements for resale profits from your current home, we’re here to help. From new mortgages to home improvement loans…and everything in between, we are here to help you with all of your homeowner and homebuyer needs.
Looking to purchase a new home? Learn More About Our Mortgage Options Today!
Return to Blog